21 September, 2008

About a month's worth of pictures

Ok, so it has been a while since there was a substantial blog post. Give me a break. I'm on my first job, we're just wrapping up the quarter and I have better things to do than attend to the every little of people half a world away. You know there was a reason I moved so far away.


Ok, so this week I spent most of my time writing comments. We have to write a substantial, at least three line comment about each kid. That would be great if I knew all my kids yet. Granted, I know most of them but some of the Koreans I just can't get. Hopefully by the end of the year.

What else have I done? I'm getting boots cobbled. I got two new pants made. These ones are even more swank than the others. The button on the fly has Mickey Mouse on them. Awesome.

Things are getting colder and colder around here. Monsoon came back this week too. It rained for about 30 hours from Wednesday to Thursday and it still comes and goes. I busted out the sweaters this week. Went to the local watering hole last night wearing a cardigan and one of the older staff members that came with us told me he thought I was 30 or 35 this entire time. I just felt distinguished, like an intellectual.

So anywho, what you really want is pictures.

Some of my advisees over at my place for some dinner and games. "Oh, Mr J, (They call me Mr J) you're so full of shenanigans!"

The other half of my advisor group.

Playing charades, can you guess who?

More of the bazaar.

One of the numerous textile shops. This isn't the one I go to though.


Some playground/hangout place. No one can tell me who the bust is of there in the center (centre?).

The hillside from the middle of the bazaar.


Clocktower. Thusly named because there is a clocktower there.

Ram Chander, my grocer.

Fruit carts out in the street. The guy gave me a really dirty look for taking his picture.

The Woodstockmobile.

Just a couple of chums playing cards.


Birthday dinner at the Tavern.

The other half of the party. The guy in pink is Prakash. He's the second biggest metrosexual I know. Can you guess the first?

Birthday libations. Indian vodka tastes like CH3CH2CH2OH.
(For reference, the stuff you're supposed to drink is CH
3CH2OH.)



Dinner. The stuffed chicken sizzler! Sounds kind of like an amusement park ride.

Hockey game. These kids were running around trying to scare people with the mask. This guy put them in their place.

The WS boys' teams waiting to play. We had three guys' teams and three girls'. I think they won one game all day between the six of them. Granted, they only formed the teams three days before.




Spectators.

The temple next to the hockey rink.

The statue in front of the temple.

Inner school cross country. The kids in front of Kellogg Church. My house (the Merlins) won the day's events.

Cheering on the runners as they pass by.

Staff being boring and waiting around for someone to break their leg or get run over by a car. We ran in the streets and had no way to stop traffic so it was a real danger.

I've been skyping beautiful, young women and men with large proboscides.

The group of kids and visiting teachers we took on a hike up to Benog Tibba last weekend.



Pics of the old pump house. How the hell they got these huge things down the mountain is beyond me. There's people living here now.


Taking a break part way through the day at the wheelhouse. The guy puffing out his chest on the left is Darab, our outdoors guru.



Break time by a valley stream.




The hike's final destination. There's a shrine at the top of Benog Tibba.

A kind of natural shrine just below the real shrine.

Darab and Niranjan (the physics teacher) walking up to the shrine.

You're supposed to ring this bell to help drive away evil spirits. Darab was telling me how there has been studies that show the vibrations actually kill some harmful micro-organisms.

The visiting teachers perched on the observation tower. It was foggy as all get out so there wasn't a darned thing to see.

Grubby Caterpillar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a periodic table and a dictionary to read your posts.

But I'm not complaining.

Love you, James! Thanks so much for the pictures; I love seeing what you're up to!

Hey, I think I rode the Chicken Sizzler on a visit to Dutch Village!

Dr. Cindy S. C. Rice said...

Oh, the Dutch Village comments! What will we do?

1. Nice that there is ONE picture of you and all we can see is a nice shirt and a neck.

2. Oh, you do skype? What about a little face time with the old and ugly?

3. I am amazed at the amount of "hand made stuff" and the fact that it is affordable.

4. You just keep liking it, James. Your dad and I can't wait to see you.

C.

Unknown said...

Re: Charades - I guess ... Abraham Lincoln.

Re: The bust in the playground - From here it looks like Will Rogers.

Re: Clocktower - Oh, THAT'S why?

Re: Fruit cart dirty look man - Kick him in the head. Then he'll know he really has a reason to give you the stink eye.

Re: Meterosexual - Chunk?

Re: Man with scary mask - I though maybe he was selling Yeti heads at the bazar. I was going to tell you I wanted one for Christmas.

RE: Skype - You know, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw big noses.

Camber Carpenter said...

Darab is the outdoors guru? I figured you should hold that title. You know, in addition to obscure music and movie guru. and comics...and thinking of new flag designs for abominable states.

Did you eat the neon green caterpillar? Because--that's what they do in The Lion King.

I also thought the guy with the mask was selling them. He looks like a vendor at a baseball game: "Peanuts! Popcorn! Horrifying masks!"

More monsoons for you. More typhoons for me. And someday, I will figure out the difference between the two.
Cheers, James.

Unknown said...

Geez, kids today. You're so damn dense.

The difference between monsoons and typhoons is quite obvious.

One starts with "mons" and the other starts with "typh." I don't know how much easier it could be.