01 November, 2008

However many I feel Like on Saturday

1- The week has been insane. Every teacher was giving tests which really stressed out the students. They in turned stressed me out. Somehow, my stack of papers to grade tripled this week.

2- Tuesday was Diwali. It's been described to me as the Hindu equivalent of Christmas. There's lots of celebrating and gift giving. T and I went down to Gargi's to relax and have some dinner. I took down the accordion and we sang 'Diwali Carols.'

3- The 12th grade boys spent Diwali protesting. They had some points that were good (poor living conditions, etc) and some that were not so good. There's been lots of talk this week about 'intangibles' here at Woodstock. The boys feel like they're being taken away from them.

4- I fixed the broken reed in the accordion. I'm good at stuff like that. I just need to figure out how to remove the bass strap so that I can get it replaced. I also need to find a pattern for shoulder straps so I can get them made as well.

5- Tomorrow I'm leaving for Sarab Talla (I think that's how you spell it), a village about 3 hours away, for activity week. I'll be with two other teachers and 12 ninth graders. Basically, we're learning about the culture of the villages and giving the kids a bit of an eye opener.

6- If my life had a soundtrack it would be predominantly Vince Guaraldi. The man's got a way with the piano that is nothing short of amazing. I think the main track would have to be 'Cast Your Fate to the Wind.' If ever there were a piano piece I wish I could play...

7- I have a headache that just won't go away.

8- The weather's getting colder and colder. I'm kinda dreading/excited about spending this next week in my tent. Don't worry, my sleeping bag goes down to 30F and I packed some underarmour and a skimutze. And big fuzzy socks too. The same kind of socks that are great for making sharfins out of.

9- I'm about to start payments on my student loans. Here goes my paycheck for the next 15 years.

10- I still haven't gotten up to the top of the hill to see the snows yet. Hopefully I'll get up there when I come back from the village. Definitely expect pictures of that.

11- I was doodling and accidentally drew a picture of dad. He's yelling, "An Ammonia Leak!" For some reason, that's usually what I think of when I think of him.

12- Yesterday was Halloween. We turned one of the old dorms into a 'haunted house.' Well, I didn't. I've had my fill of haunted houses with APO. Haunted houses are dumb.

13- Indian candy involves boiling milk a lot and then coating the top with a thinly beaten sheet of silver. Nothing says sweet to me like heavy metal poisoning.

14- It's November. I like November.

15- Finally decided that I'm going to Hong Kong over my winter break. Camber is working there teaching English and acting. She invited me for Chinese New Year and to stay for as long as I want. Dad and Cindy aren't coming. I told them not to unless they're going to spend at least two weeks here. That goes for everyone else too. I'm not going to have a bunch of people come visit me and the only thing we ever do is go to the Taj and see Delhi. BORING!

16- Beckers is preggers again. Just means another damn stuffed animal for me to make.

7 comments:

Camber Carpenter said...

Wow--I made it into the blog of James Rice, esq.!
Everyone in Hong Kong (well, everyone I know, anyway) is excited for you to come.
Bring Indian candy.
Don't bring fuzzy socks.

Anonymous said...

So send me the sketch. I wanna see...

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous you get to see Camber before I do. I'm planning on going with Ann when she's done with school in May. I also like how one of your answers to "Who are you?" is Wade. That makes me smile.

Unknown said...

Diwali carols - Now THAT I can get behind. It's not two months too early for Diwali after all ...

And the ammonia leak sketch is hilarious - because I drew something similar recently involving a mercury spill.

Anonymous said...

If you love us, you'll scan the sketch and post it so we can all marvel at your artistic prowess.

Love you!

Dr. Cindy S. C. Rice said...

Ok, WHO IS T? Usually when you say someone and I went somewhere I know exactly to whom you are referring. Now, you are making me do the evil step mother detective thing and go back through your blog pictures and figure out who T is.

Throw me a bone here. WHO IS T?

Becky said...

i also vote for you to take a pic of the sketch and post it. i'm thinking it looks something like the back of one of the many envelopes mike sent home back in his EIU days.

miss you.