28 November, 2008

A few on Friday

  • I'm absolutely knackered after this week.
  • There are only four more teaching days left in the semester and I'm not entirely sure if I'll get through everything I need to.
  • It's also that time of year when the kids freak out and all want to come in for extra help. Nevermind I've had to be writing comments for all of them, grade OLD assignments, grade tests, write tests, write exams, write answer keys for all of that.
  • Yesterday was Thanksgiving. I went to a friends place for dinner and we had some chicken, stuffing, the works. It was all really really good but I definitely paid for it that evening. My stomach wasn't used to food that rich and let me know it.
  • I got my ticket to Hong Kong today. Should be a good time.
  • I've finally gotten a carpet 'installed' today. I came home to find everything shoved around and completely disorganized. I'm a little less than thrilled about that, especially with the last week of school coming up and all that jazz. Thanks hospitality for being so... what's the word? Hospitable.
  • I also attended the fall play this evening. It was Neverland. It was student directed and student run. They actually did a pretty bang up job, and I was quite impressed. It was a little hard to follow at times because of awkward script cuts and the audience cheering when their friends came on stage, but it was enjoyable.
  • There were attacks on Mumbai this week. It's been all over the media and any time I've actually had a chance to even look at the news that had been what they were talking about. Apparently there is still some stuff going on. And don't worry, we're pretty much nestled in a relatively quiet corner. As my boss put it, we pump enough money into the economy that the shopkeepers would probably through up a bunch of barriers to protect us.
  • Now that it's the day after Thanksgiving I can actually break out the Christmas music and not be ashamed.
  • I've been rereading my favourite book: Zorba the Greek. My copy is totally falling apart. If only I had a fresher copy... *sigh* I really like it because it's not really about anything in particular, just life. And the entire time you never find out the narrator's name. He's just referred to as 'boss.'
  • Just wanted to share one little story: Last weekend when I was in Rishikesh with my friends Jeanne, Jennie, and Megan we were walking back to meet our taxi. As we passed a rather holy looking man in robes a man turned to us and, at least I felt, rather mockingly said, "konnichiha." I couldn't help but laugh because Jeanne is, I think, Taiwanese and Megan is Korean (Jennie is a tall white girl that sticks out like the chest bursting alien). Talk about Americans being ignorant. I'm sure he just thought all Asians look the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. What does "konnichiha" mean? I have tried to pronounce it phonetically and it doesn't make any sense.

Anonymous said...

Unless I miss my guess, "konnichiha" is a Japanese greeting. Ergo, the man was making a generalization by greeting an Asian with a Japanese greeting.

And I can figure this out only because my James Rice decoder ring just came back from the shop.

Love you, James! You'll make it through the semester with flying colors!

Tangent said...

Ha ha, I like the bullet points, in general. Dude, I am Chinese, get it right. I need to go get my ninja attire on now. But it doesn't beat the Korean cowboys. Sorry about spending 4 hours in the same building! Sayonara, buddy!