13 January, 2009

Hong Kong pt I




Well, I've been in Hong Kong for over a week now and since I have internet access I suppose that I can put up an update for my adoring fans. Let me just give the highlights.

Things have been great. I arrived sometime in the night of the third and Camber, having arrived only hours before, waited for me and welcomed me as I made my way through customs. It was late so the city was mostly dead. I was starving and had to settle for tuna salad sammiches from the local 7-11. These convenience stores are literally everywhere around HK. They're like Starbucks in that you can find two separate stores in extremely close proximity.

Eventually, I got to have a steak dinner. I decided to play it safe and go with it done medium rather than slightly warmed. I was not that sure how my stomach would take it. Just fine apparently.

One of our first big trips was to the peak, the highest point in Hong Kong. We took a tram up and took lots of pictures. We also perched on a bench and played our favourite game, "Guess where the white people are from." The Americans and Canadians tend to stand out. It's when you get into some of the European groups that things get hairy (sometimes literally?).

We climbed on top of this thing to get all of the good views below. Camber says it's shaped like a rice bowl. I think it looks like a watermelon.

Olde friends reunited. Camber's trying to be sexy or something. I'm just being a jackass. I guess you're right Mike, we are too much alike. There'll never be a good picture of me either.

The harbour.

This is the tallest building in Hong Kong. I forget its name but I went there one night to meet some French bankers and drink beer.



Taken on the hike down from the peak.

We also went to the science museum and spent the day playing with mirrors and testing feats of strength. I was also quite excited to find that Camber's office is right by the headquarters for the Hong Kong Scouts. We went there after lunch with her coworkers (conveniently in the same building) and checked out their mini museum. I even picked up a few badges for pops and myself.

B.P. International. The headquarters for the Hong Kong Scouts. Part hotel, part scouting headquarters, part dim sum restaurant, part museum.

We stopped by McDonald's to pick up some greasy cheeseburgers.

Mmmm... two all beef patties, two slices of pasteurized, processed cheese product. I missed beef a lot. Maybe even more than those two little nieces of mine.

This past weekend we went to the island of Macau. From what I understand, it is in the same sort of place as Hong Kong. It is a sovereign island looked over by the Chinese government. It used to be a Portuguese colony until a few years ago. We met up with some of Camber's coworkers and pretty much ate our way across the island. I never expected a bunch of tiny little Chinese girls to eat so much.

The facade of the Church of St Paul is the only part remaining of this old church built by Japanese refugees. Apparently, it was the also the image used on the world's first postcard.


The Igreja de Sao Domingos. We seem to be stopping at a lot of churches in the area.

Signs of the Chinese New Year are abundant.


Pasta is common in structures around Hong Kong.

Camber hamming it up in front of the pasta Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Egg tarts. They're a lot like peach pie minus the peaches. Also a specialty of Macau.

Merchants also hound you in the streets with this stuff, the finest thing the Lord God Almighty ever gave to man, jerky. They carry these huge strips around and cut off free samples to entice you into stopping by there shop. To quote my students, "It was damn good man. Damn Good." Sweet, sweet ambrosia.

Macau Tower, the highest point from which you can bungee jump... IN THE WORLD ... made out of LEGOS.

And concrete.

On Monday, Camber and I met up with some friends of hers to go on a hike. We had Karen, Dora, and four from China: Jonathan, Isabella, Kat, and Jill. We hiked a little north of the city around these trenches that were used by the British during the Japanese occupation in the 40s. From what we were told, they smuggled gin.

An overgrown airshaft. There were lots of signs around saying to beware of desolate trenches. I'd be kind of weary about putzing around with these huge holes all over the place.

It was good to see they kept their sense of humour. This tunnel was named, 'Shaftesbury Avenue.'


Lots of exploring was done. A lot of it bent over and smacking our heads on the ceiling.



The hikers.

That's it for now. I also went to one of Camber's shows and saw 'Oops I Killed a Penguin' and 'I'm Shakespeare... Get Me Out of Here.' I'll dedicate an entire post to reviewing them. Anywho, we're off for sushi. I'll take pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, James.
Who is that hot babe you're staying with?

Anonymous said...

Awesome, James, looks like you're having a blast. Keep the updates coming! Love you!

Becky said...

if i had to live w/o beef and you at the same time i'd probably miss the beef more too.

miss you, love you, wish you were here!