11 March, 2009

Holi

Today was Holi, an interesting holiday. Basically, it's a Hindu holiday that's also known as the festival of colors. That's about all I know about it. Well, that and the fact that you throw colors at each other. If you're that interested you can google it. I'll just let the pictures talk.

Mother and daughter from school. They're a lot of fun.

The French teacher and I.

Can words even describe?

These two aren't very good at that 'wear makeup like you're not' thing.

Hail! Hail! The gang's all here... or most of them anyway.


And the aftermath:




So, it was a good time. I got a little bit earlier today in class as well. I let the grade twelves put some yellow on my face. It was fun until it kept flaking off into my lunch.

In other news, we have a monkey problem here at school. They wander the trails and buildings and generally harass staff and students alike. School decided to do something about it and hired a crew of languorwallahs. These are guys who walk around with languor monkeys on a leash. The monkey basically sits there and marks it territory and pisses off the other monkeys into leaving. I haven't been able to get a picture yet, but I'm trying. The funny thing is that I always think of mom when I see them. Something about monkeys and leashes...

I gave devotions today to the tenth graders. I enjoy doing it. Mainly because I can talk about these really bizarre topics and then tie it in at the end with something. The kids think it's ridiculous and all but they have fun. Today's topic was comic books. I basically talked bout how super heroes are in the position to do the right thing even if they're not loved or even looked down upon by (like Batman or Spiderman). I tied it in by saying that we have the power and responsibility to stop things like bullying or name calling. It was hammy but I think the kids got it and thought it was fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Rice family monkey legacy ... the little critters always remind me of your mom, too.

Love you. You look great in fuschia.

tulekah said...

Way back in the day when I was at Woodstock we didn't have Langurwallahs, we had small boys (such as moi) with slingshots. One didn't shoot at the monkeys, rather as close as possible to them. For some unknown reason the whirr of a stone next to their ear made them depart. Actually hitting a Bundar (Rhesus) often resulted in being chased by the infuriated animal, not fun atall atall.