16 April, 2009

The final quarter started this week. I'm exhausted already. Definitely needed a longer break. Oh well, I have a new box of comics thanks to Mike and it makes for some nice relaxation.

We had parent teacher conferences on Tuesday. It's probably the one day all semester I dread the most. The parents of good students are easy to talk to. Just tell them the kid is doing great and is a wonderful student to have and they'll go merrily on their way. It's figuring out how to tactfully tell some parents that their children are little twerps that puts me on edge. I made it through the day without any parents screaming at me so I'll count it as a success. At lunch I was sitting with the parents of one of my advisees and was chatting with the father. He eventually asked me where I was from and I said 'Four hours from Chicago' like I usually do. He then asked what state and I of course replied 'Illinois.' He then proceeded to tell me that he did his undergrad work in Illinois. It was some little hole of a town named Jacksonville. He went to Mac many moons ago and we were able to bond over the little about the town that he still remembered. I think Woodstock has made more odd connections like this than I can shake a bag of chips at (and believe me, I'm a good chip bag shaker).

In other news, I finally heard back from the jamboree selection committee today. I have been accepted to work in the international hosting division. What exactly, I don't know yet. There are three subdivisions so I can either be doing activities, grunt work (picking int'ls up at the airport etc.), or a sort of commissioner. I'm sure I'll find out in due time. I'm just really excited b/c I love working with international people and this jamboree is during the 100th year of BSA so it's being really hyped up. Dad's going too but he's doing some shooting sports stuff so I doubt we'll see much of each other.

No comments: