31 October, 2009

Leaving

Tomorrow marks the beginning of my Activity Week. At 9 in the morning I will leave with 17 kids and three other adults to go to one of the local villages. I say local but it's still a three hour taxi ride to get there. You go down the hill and up the next. Oddly enough, you feel so far away but you can still see lights of Mussoorie by night.

Activity week is a bit of a Woodstock tradition (one of these 'intangibles' I keep hearing about). For one week in the second quarter school stops and the trips begin. The littlest ones go into the bazaar and learn about the people who help us. Others learn the history of Mussoorie and then there are rafting trips, hikes into the mountains, village trips, meetings with the Dalai Lama, Habitat for Humanity groups in Delhi and others. Overall, it's a nice break from traditional school work and a chance to see a new side to India. For the second year now I'm going to a village. I guess you could say I'm a little disappointed because both years now I've said I'd like to hike. This year is different though. I'm actually in charge of the trip this year (though I can't say I've really organised anything or done much of anything at all for it; we have people here that do it) plus I'm going to a new village. It will be nice to see what this other village is like.

So don't be surprised if there aren't any new posts for the week (ha, you're probably more surprised by the fact that I am posting one anyway!). To help you satiate your thirsts for all things me here's a couple of things:

1- It was recently Mole Day (if you don't know, look it up... heathen). The other chemistry teacher and I got up in assembly to tell some jokes and light money on fire. More on that if I ever find pictures of it.

2- World Woodstock Day recently took place as well. You can check out a video of a day in the life of the school here.

3- I've been working on a new song on my accordion. It's coming along nicely. Still need to work out the bass/chord buttons but, you know, it's coming along.

1 comment:

Yankeefan said...

I liked the Woodstock video kind of wish I was a teacher instead of an Accountant but I do love my job. Please post pics of the hike hope you have fun. FYI Yankees are one win away from being World Champs for the 27th time!!! =0) Thought I mention it.