23 February, 2010

Bizarre Dreams

Yesterday was an amazing day. On the way to school I knew already that I had worn too many layers for the day. Spring was in the air. The sun was out and shining. There was that smell in the air that spring had sprung. That sort of musty, woody smell. Well, by the time that I had wrapped things up to go to our monthly short story reading group things had turned for the worst. Clouds rolled in and the sky was overcast. The air got bitter cold. The smell of spring was replaced by the smell of a cold, cold rain. By the end of the evening rain was coming down pat- pat- pattering on the corrugated sheet metal roof and thunder was heard in the distance.

Now, I've probably mentioned on here some time that I'm a very light sleeper and usually have extreme difficulty getting any kind of a full night's rest. I sleep with a fan on year round for the white noise it's blades and motor provide. I actually welcomed the rain. The area has been so dry since monsoon was virtually non-existent this past year and we really needed it (by we I really mean the people of Mussoorie as Woodstock supplies most of its own water). Also, that pattering on the roof provides great white noise. Sometime in the early morning the storm reached us. Lightning flashes were quickly followed by the loud boom of thunder. Around 3.30 the power got briefly knocked out. Sleeping with the fan on, I quickly awoke when the dull buzzing was cut off. I spent a good, long time moving and shifting, trying to get back to sleep but to no avail. Eventually I must have because I woke up again a few more times as the power came back on and then off again and then on again.

Now, the thing is that I must have been startled out of a dream because I was (and still am) imprinted with images of a dream I had. The dream itself was just so bizarre and disturbing that I really needed to share it. I can't say that I remember very much of it. Just snippets really.

What I really remember was having a sense of dread throughout the dream. Just about everything was in greytones. I was in an apartment building saying something to a group of people that something needed to be done. I remember looking out of a window down into a courtyard. I think I was looking out for something. The next thing I remember was that I was outside. There was a chainlink fence behind me as well as a large, leafless tree. I was startled by a giant flock of birds suddenly taking off into the sky. As I turned around I was further startled by the fact that the entire flock suddenly was turned into a vapourised mist of red blood as if some unseen force had instantly pulverised them all. I turned, thinking, "We need to get out of here. Now." And as I started to move people away there was a deafening roar from above and as I looked up I saw a plane/passenger jet engulfed in flames come crashing down. I remember how close it was to the ground when I first saw it because of how huge it looked. When I saw it hit the ground not far I suddenly felt compelled to run over and help but I quickly stopped. I had noticed that there was already some military vehicles rushing to the scene. Seeing the jeeps and vans I felt more terrified than when I saw the birds or plane. It was only then that I decided to flee. The subconscious can be pretty funny sometimes. The vehicle I left in was like one of those large doubledecker buses you think of going around London. The only thing was that it was much, much smaller. Literally, not much wider than I am. We rushed down the highway at top speed and I guess we got away. I don't really remember much else. There is more to the dream but all I can think of was having to get away again and something about antique quilts. Maybe I'll remember some more later.

So that was my bizarre/disturbing dream from this morning. I'm sure I wouldn't have remembered it if I hadn't been woken up by the power going off. It still gives me the willies. Especially the part about the birds.

1 comment:

yankeefan said...

Wow! Freaky! Strange I don't really have nightmares but I do get up often during the night when I do I just pray. =0)

If you remember more of the dream do tell.