27 July, 2008

pictures

The view from where I live. When the clouds clear you have a wonderful view of Dehra Dun (quite stellar by night as well). When the clouds are out I quite feel like I'm living on the edge of the ethereal plane (or at least visiting the restaurant at the edge of the universe).

The view of my front door as you would normally approach it.

My backyard.

The side yard.

Let's go in and take a tour eh?

Kindly take off your shoes as you come in. Lord knows what you've been walking in around here. There's a bench here you can see in another picture that I call my Mr Rogers bench. I come in and change my shoes there. It's such a good feeling to know you're alive...

What you see when you first come in. It's my steps and a set of dressers. Bathroom through the door on the right.

Kitchen, the room I'll probably be using the least.

My Aquaguard. Gives me clean potable water. I've been sticking with bottled water for the most part but it works just fine for brushing your teeth.

The living room as viewed from the kitchen.

The mantle. Just a few knick-knacks. I want dad to notice the moose is up and even has my safety goggles on. The trophy was left behind.

Up the stairs. At first they were a bit daunting but you get used to them and now I'm running up and down them with ease.

The bedroom area of the loft.

A little crossing to the office area.

A top down view of the living room. You can see the Mr Rogers bench in the top middle.

Indians are brilliant. Stick a lightbulb in your closet and it dries out your clothes during monsoon!

The view from my bedroom window. Not that great right now.

The ever present monsoon black mold.

A shower visitor. This guy is about the size of my palm. Post-monsoon they're supposed to get the size of your hand.

Mussoorie has a ferris wheel. Man-powered. They climb up and use momentum (p=m*v) to start and stop it. They hop in the middle like a hamster wheel and even dangle from the backs of the carts.

Ok, hopefully this will satiate your hunger for pictures for the time being. They take especially long to upload here and I'm sure the IT people won't be happy with the bandwidth usage.

Just something a little fun. Here's a list of the critters I've seen so far in India:
  • rats
  • mice (next door has a good story about this one)
  • Jackals
  • monkeys (Two kinds, they like to make a lot of noise and look in your windows. Yeah, I live with monkeys, get over it.)
  • Scorpions
  • leeches
  • Really big spiders
  • Really small spiders
  • numerous stray dogs
  • one schizo cat
  • a few birds
  • cicadas
  • these worms that all hatch at once when it rains and look like a pile of noodles in the dirt
I think the most surprising thing to me since coming here has been the weather. I knew it be monsoon but I didn't realize just how cold it would be. Obviously I knew cooler but it's been really cold, especially during the nights and mornings. Just coming back up from Dehra Dun yesterday I was very warm in the city and freezing by the time I got up to school. The worst thing is that you can't really wear warmer clothes because of the humidity. Any amount of walking and you'll immediately break into a sweat.

I'm acclimating fairly well. I still get winded walking around but it's not that bad.

Anywho, time to go to high tea.

7 comments:

Maggie said...

Love the pictures! It's great to see where you (and the creepy spider) live.

Incidentally, I killed a spider in my office at work this week. It was tiny by Indian standards, to be sure, and yet I felt like Wonder Woman for having vanquished it with nothing more than a leopard-print left shoe and a can of hairspray. (The magic lasso has no effect on arachnids.)

Becky said...

it's so nice to see where you live and i'm sure once the weather is nice you'll have one hell of a view from your house. glad to hear you're adjusting well - i knew you would but, it's still good to know. you should try resizing your pics before you upload them. i always shrink mine to 500px wide and that seems pretty suitable for the web.

love you bunches-
becky

jessicat said...

Sounds like you are already seeing so much and you have been there for such a short time! I look forward to continuing to hear your many adventures.

Love
Jessica

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're finding a rhythm that works for you there. Or as much of a rhythm as you can have before school starts. I'm glad you've already found some other new teachers to bond with. It's also great to see that where you're staying isn't a complete bachelor pad. I mean, the furniture even matches. Love the moose on the mantle.
Have fun... (high tea, really?)

Unknown said...

What? No monkey photos?

;-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the "high tea" thing really gets me.

Is your pinky out?

Camber Carpenter said...

Great pictures, James.
I'm sorry about getting hospitalized, but it sounds like you're back to good--at least enough to list the wildlife and make me question if I want to visit you :) Scorpians are my Kryptonite.
Cheers to you!
Camber