16 July, 2008

T minus....

So, here I sit on a bed in the La Quinta hotel not far from Lambert Airport in St. Louis. It's 12.54 in the morning and we're supposed to be up in about three hours so we can be showered and ready to go. And by we I mean me.

Cindy and dad are already snoozing away. Even if I wasn't too [excited, jittery, insert adjective here] to sleep I wouldn't be able to anyway because of the large amount of snoring going on. Oh I'm sure that in the peaceful foothills of the Himalayas I'll welcome the noise. Probably not.

My first flight is from St Louis to New York at 7.15 in the AM. I then have a bit of a layover at JFK until 7.45 in the PM. I'm sure that in that time I'll be napping, making phone calls, journaling, or walking the concourse. My flight takes me to London where I'll have another layover (just two hours this time). Once we're back in the air it will be another eight hours and twenty minutes until we reach our final (well, final airline) destination of Delhi at 10.35 PM on Thursday night. Once in Delhi we'll spend a day or so there while others come in and then it's a train ride and stint in a cab up to the school. All in all it should be a fabu time traveling.

One would think I'd be most concerned with starting a new job fresh out of college in a foreign country, but, honestly, the thing that worries me the most is getting there. We've had enough of a hassle of trying to ship my stuff and then get it all into bags that I'm this close to chucking it all save for the sleeping bag and Harry and spend my time in India like that. I think come winter, I would have regretted such actions but that's too much to think about right now.

Anywho, it's been a long couple of days and the most sleep I've gotten in a solid block was in the car ride down here. I'll brave the snores and try to get some rest. I'll update once I get to India and let everyone know I made it and am alive. So, until then, cheers.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

A sleeping bag and Harry? As in your stuffed monkey from when you were four? Or have you picked up another Harry since then?

Bon voyage!

Camber Carpenter said...

You're en route to India. In your honor, I shall drink copious amounts of blue and/or purple kool-aid.


I'll let you know how that "turns out". wink. wink. wink. wink. gah! my eye!
All the breast...best! I meant best. Yes, all the best.

Becky said...

aww, you took harry with you. is he still clothed in grandma gear? well i certainly hope the trip has gone smoothly thus far.

miss you terribly already.

Maggie said...

Seriously, people. Who the heck is Harry?

I went out for Indian food last night. I smell like curry today. It makes me feel closer to James, and irritates my co-workers. Double whammy!

James, why do I miss you when I hardly ever saw you, anyway? Is it just knowing you're far away? Or are you just so much cooler now than you used to be?

At any rate ... cheers, little bro. Keep us posted. I love and miss you.

RachBeck said...

hopefully you can get some internet access soon!! patiently waiting an update.

maggie - harry is a stuffed monkey from james's childhood. he carried that thing everywhere and eventually grandma figured that it was time he learned some manners and put on some clothes. he's housebroken though - no diaper. james wouldn't have to worry about that anyway as he has people to pick up monkey poo for him. :)

niftysunburn said...

Yes, Harry, the one and only. He went to college with me too. Got his degree in poo flinging with a minor in monkey suicides. He's still garbed in gram's handiwork (though he could use a new waistband, his pants keep falling down).

and who's rachbeck? I mean, I think I got it figured out but it could be either of two people... I'm so confused.

Unknown said...

Rachbeck must = Becky.

Cindy Rice said...

Dearest young son:
You failed to mention in the comments that the reason for all of the noise in the room that night was there were no electrical outlets anywhere near the beds and the cords were too short to reach the ones that were in the room.

Dad.

Becky said...

yeah, that was me. i share a blog with a friend of mine and i must still have been logged on under that.

Maggie said...

OH! That makes sense. There should be no blogsharing; it confuses the natives.

I'm ready to hear how James is getting settled. Pretty soon I'm gonna start making up my own stories.

"Today I was bored, so I made ice cubes out of tap water, even though I can't consume them."