30 July, 2008

The Joys of Living in India...

I guess it's just part of living in the hills of India.

Last night we had a pretty heavy rainfall. The wetness of monsoon loosened up some of the hillside behind our apartments up on Suncliffe. I was sleeping rather soundly. The pattering of rain on the tin roof made for some superb white noise but there was a sudden crash around 4 or so. I woke up, thought nothing of it and went back to bed. Then Andrzej, my neighbor, knocked on my door sometime around 8 asking if I had water. Of course today was the day I decided to sleep in since I didn't have any big meetings this morning so I got my butt out of bed and checked. Sure enough, a trickle came out of the faucet and promptly stopped.


Crap...

I put on my mocs and ventured outside to survey the damage. The water pipe that ran down the hillside to our apartments was laying in a few pieces on the ground. Water spewed from the other end. Rather like a pretty, personal waterfall. A pile of rubble covered the walkway. In short it was a mess.

It's 11pm now. It's still not fixed. I just got back from the neighbor's to use their facilities. Tomorrow it should be all put back together and I will be able to shower in my own cold shower again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. But on the upside, I don't have my own personal waterfall. How's that for taking limes and making margaritas?

But the rain on the tin roof ... that's a beautiful sound. Glad you got to enjoy it.

Camber Carpenter said...

Just call the Culligan Man, say "namaste" and you're golden.

and...I have acid water in Indiana. okay, not really, but I couldn't think of anything else to make you feel better.

umm...drink more beer?

Becky said...

I'm glad to hear that it will be fixed soon. You'd be lucky to get service that "fast" here in the states.

Alice says "miss you". Don't know if she was talking about you or Ernie though.

Dr. Cindy S. C. Rice said...

Oh, for God's sake! I can always send you some of those bath in a bag things. ;-)

C

Anonymous said...

James, I wanted to call you, but well....
I got a job in Hong Kong and I'm moving there in 2 weeks!
I guess I could email you. Yeah, I'll email the details.
I'll be 2 time zones away from you (I think)
cheers to craziness
Camber

Unknown said...

At least you didn't have to resort to pooping in your hand.

Did you?

Anonymous said...

Ew.

That's just icky. Which is what I've pretty much come to expect from you, Mike. Thanks for not letting me down.