31 August, 2008

However many I feel like on Sunday

Ok, ok, I realize it's been a while and all of you avid readers out in the world are having hunger pangs for more bloggage.

So, easiest will be for me to just list things. Sorry, no pics right now.

1- I haven't been able to update because the internet at my house has been super spotty. I put in a request to have it fixed just now. So hopefully I will be able to blog and surf the net comfortably from my own home.

2- I also just haven't plain been at home very much this week.

3- Monday night I came down with something. Still made it to school Tuesday but slept from 5 that afternoon until 7 on Wednesday.

4- The ferns are starting to change color. When they go brown it's a sure sign that monsoon is coming to an end. huzzah

5- For as much as I don't like celebratory days like Christmas, Thanksgiving, or my birthday
I actually had a really good time on Wednesday. After school a bunch of us (~20) went to the one and only local watering hole for some dinner and fellowship. The food was good, the company excellent but the vodka tasted like isopropyl alcohol.

6- Incidentally, August 27 is also Moldovan independence day. For those not in the know, Moldova is a small, former Soviet Bloc country in eastern Europe. It used to be (and may very well still be) the poorest country in Europe. It is landlocked (thanks to the soviets who screwed them over when they broke up and gave away their ports. It is situated between Ukraine and Romania. Lastly, it is one of only two (I believe) flags that are actually different on either side. Both sides have red, blue and yellow stripes but only one has the Moldovan crest upon it. Just an interesting fact.

7- I finally made it up to the top of the hill this week. I had duty to go help watch one of the boys dorms. They said they chose the ones we went to based on where we lived. Somehow, all of us at Suncliff got stuck having to go all the way up to the top and on the other side of the hill to Rokeby.

8- I finally got my first Indian haircut and shave. It was definitely interesting. No clippers, everything was done by hand scissoring. The accompanying massage was interesting. Apparently, so were the huge red marks on my neck the straight razor left were too.

9- Woodstock had an all city field hockey tournament yesterday. They only got teams together four days ago and lost every game pretty badly, but I think the kids enjoyed themselves. I enjoyed watching old fat men from Mussoorie take on kids half their age.

10- I finally got Mike's package. I hadn't realized how many comic books he was able to fit inside that box. My friend Andrew and I decided that a bocce set would probably fit inside one of the flat rate boxes. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. He thinks he's found a good place to play as well.

11- We closed school on Friday in protest of some religious persecution going on in southern India. The kids were happy, I'm not sure how much they grasped the reasoning behind it though.

12- My buddy Saahil threw a party at his place last night. Had a great time talking, dancing, and singing karaoke. They kept chanting for me to get up and do another. Who am I to deny my loving fans? On the way back home I almost died. The ramp up to his house is very slippery and I, of course, slipped underneath the guardrail. Luckily, I was holding on to it and caught myself because the entire lower half of my body was definitely hanging over the cud.

13- Another staff member had a little get together at his place on Friday. We were supposed to play some poker but we just ended up chatting, eating hors dourves, and having a few drinks.

14- I'm finding myself having more alcohol here than I ever would back home. Funny how it took a Christian school to bring that out in me. Still, never to excess.

15- My friends think I'm a really good dancer. I don't know about that. I just wiggle around and toss the lady around like I know what I'm doing.

16- The only thing that sucked about this birthday was a noticeable lack of peach pie. Instead, I have to settle for shots of Indian vodka and whiskey while some Tibetan fellow sings an extraordinarily too long version of happy birthday.

And well, that about sums up the week for me. My battery's about dead and I should probably pull some files off of the school drive before it dies on me so I can do some work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it's about time!!!!

I missed you, James. Dawdle any longer, and you would've gotten two Tuesday Maggie Messages before I got even one new blog post! Good thing you came through, because punishment is hard to dole out in India, but I have my ways.

I think it is so amazingly cool how, no matter where you go, you find yourself part of a community that just "gets" you. Of course they want you to sing more, of course they thing you can dance, of course you are continually spending time with people who are learning how awesome you are.

Just don't love them more than you love us. Me, in particular. 'k?

Unknown said...

10? 10? All those comic books - not to mention a copy of the Family Guy Star Wars episode on DVD - and I only rate number 10?

Guess I have to try harder next time. :-P

Anonymous said...

So it definitely scares me that my step brother almost died this past week.... maybe not the greatest thing to tell your family who misses you so much!! Anyway, lay off the drinking and maybe that will help the "slipperyness" of the pavement... lol I'm kidding. I'm glad to hear you're having a good time. ISU is amazing as usual.... anyway, glad to hear you're alive and safeeeee.

Camber Carpenter said...

At long last, a post from James.
Please don't ever fall off a cliff. I really mean that.
And in keeping with the tradition of trying to be like you in every way, I also almost died this morning when some bamboo scaffolding collapsed on my AC unit and nearly smashed my windows in. All's well!
Your friends are right--you are a good dancer. I have personal experience in these matters.
Keep it explosive, man. (that's what hip HongKongers say...only they say it in Cantonese: "Ho-Baowa!"

Becky said...

took me this long to actually read your blog since i was told you nearly died. i can't go a week w/o hearing from you and then have a post that states "i almost died" in it. as if i wasn't worried enough about you.

glad you had a good birthday. we missed you lots. :)

BTW, how was the cake?