16 August, 2008

Independence Day

Yesterday, the fifteenth, was the 61st Indian Independence Day. From what I've been told, it's usually just another day for most of India. Woodstock, however, is not like the rest of India.

We got the day off from school. The Indian government, however, mandates that all schools should have a flag raising/national anthem singing ceremony. All three schools gathered around the flagpole at 9.30 on Friday and there were some songs, a keynote speaker, and, of course, the flag ceremony. Afterwards local vendors were invited to provide everyone with food on the quad. There were plenty of momos and dosas to feed everyone. Personally, I picked up some potato patties that were quite spicy and covered in coconut and mint chutney. I also devoured a few mutton momos and drank some chai.

Afterwards, everyone I talked to (and myself as well) took a nap. I was invited by the head of the science department and his wife up to their place for a 'bland meal.' It was smoked chicken, carrots and mashed potatoes.



Just some views I thought were interesting. These were actually taken last Sunday on my way to dinner. When I got there I found out that we had chapel that evening and it was formal. I had half an hour to eat, run back up to my place, change, and make it back down for chapel. I was only 2 minutes late.

Some staff and students getting settled in for the big ceremony.

Some staff members getting to their seats. The bearded man in black is the head of high school.

Some of the grade 12s peering over the balcony at all that is going on.

The Indian staff choir singing some traditional Indian songs.

The principal introducing the keynote speaker.


Afterwards in the quad.





Some of the vendors make rotis (I think) in a 50 gal drum oven.

The longer the line = the better the food.

The longest line by far was the Tibetan momos.


The Suncliffe gang. Us guys in our kurta pyjamas and the ladies in their saries.

Today I went back down to the 'buzz' or bazaar. I finally got my hands on an electric blow heater. Well, my figurative hands anyway. They had to order it and said they'll send it up tomorrow. This makes me very happy. I also stopped back by the local bookstore. Just to browse. I picked up a copy of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins because I've read a lot about him and decided to see what he's all about. I also picked up two hardback copies of the comic compilations of Tintin. I've just had a hankering for some comics and I always liked Tintin. The last stop I made was at another grocery store. I picked up some cheese. Real, bona fide, crumbly, yellow, cheddar cheese. It's delicious.

3 comments:

Dr. Cindy S. C. Rice said...

I look at this and think to myself, "I remember those first years of teaching, and they are nothing compared to the experiences you must be having." All of your life you will look back on this year and be amazed by what you have accomplished. As Goober would say to Andy, "proud, proud, proud, proud, proud".

Camber Carpenter said...

great pictures. And I'm totally getting a sari when I come visit you.
I'll be on your continent tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I was looking through the pictures and thinking to myself, "Sheesh, I wish James would post a picture of himself already?" And then, as if you read my mind (and please don't; it's scary in there) there you were, smiling at me!

I'm with Cindy; I am in awe of your life and all you are experiencing. Thank you for sharing it with us.